[R] Cansisc: Error in eigen(eHe, symmetric = TRUE)

Maria Judith Carmona H juditycarmona at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 03:47:21 CEST 2014

Dear John

There is my data set.

Thanks.

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 8:12 PM, John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> Dear Judith,
>
> I take it from your reply that you have *more* observations than there are
> response variables in the multivariate linear model, but since you still
> haven't provided access to the data, it's still impossible to tell what the
> problem is.
>
> I don't follow your application, possibly because I'm ignorant of the area
> in which you work, but also possibly because there's insufficient
> information about that too. When you say that there are 0 abundances, I
> assume that this doesn't mean that some abundance values are 0 for *all*
> observations. If that's the case, then that would I believe produce a
> computational error, though not I think the one you observed. As an aside,
> if there are many 0 abundances then using the multivariate normal
> distribution for the responses likely isn't reasonable, which is what
> you're doing, but this in itself won't produce a computational error in
> candisc().
>
> So, to reiterate, without the data, there's not much more that I can say.
> Because I'm out of town and will be traveling tomorrow, I'm unlikely to be
> able to respond again for several days.
>
>  Best,
>  John
>
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:54:56 -0500
>  Maria Judith Carmona H <juditycarmona at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear John,
> >
> > I am including abundance values ??in my data set so obviously I have zero
> > abundances.
> > The problem is that if plot only the factors (biomasa, altdosel, altsoto,
> > cobertura, riqarb, elevacion, temperatura, precipitacion) I get the
> > graphic, the same happen when I included only the families, but I want to
> > see the effect of all these factors+families on this plot . In fact I
> > included only certain families:
> >
> > prueba4 <-
> >
> lm(cbind(biomasa,altdosel,altsoto,cobertura,riqarb,elevacion,temperatura,precipitacion,
> >

> Araceae,Begoniaceae,Bromeliaceae,Clusiaceae,Cyclanthaceae,Ericaceae,Gesneriaceae,
> >                     Melastomataceae,Orchidaceae,Piperaceae,Pteridophyta)
> ~
> > sitio, data=bosques.p)
> > canprueba2 <- candisc(prueba2, term="sitio", data=bosques.p, ndim=1)
> > Error in eigen (EHD, symmetric = TRUE): infinite or missing values ??in
> 'x'
> > In addition: Warning message:
> > In sqrt (wmd): NaNs produced
> >
> > You see I get the same error.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Judith
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM, John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear Maria Judith Carmona Higuita,
> > >
> > > Since you didn't include enough information (such as your access to
> your
> > > data) to reproduce the error, one can only guess. My guess: you have
> fewer
> > > observations in your data set than response variables on the LHS of the
> > > multivariate linear model.

> [...]

Biologist - University of Antioquia
Medellín - Colombia

"Happiness happens when you fit with your life, when you fit so
harmoniously that whatsoever you are doing is your joy. Then suddenly you
will come to know: meditation follows you. If you love the work that you
are doing, if you love the way you are living, then you are meditative".
Osho