[R] metafor package: changing decimal in forest plot to midline decimal

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 15:29:31 CEST 2014

On 07/07/2014 12:02, Michael Dewey wrote:
> At 09:08 07/07/2014, Dietlinde Schmidt wrote:
>> Thanks for that link, Wolfgang. Unfortunately, there comes the Warning
>> with it:
>> "(process:3634): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to
>> pango_layout_set_text()"
>> and decimal being "scrambled" in forest plot and not displaying the
>> midline decimal.
>>
>> I think it has to do with the fact, that only 1-byte-codes are allowed
>> for options(OutDec="\xB7").
>> Or does it have to do with me using Ubuntu?
>
> I am not an expert on encodings but I think that in Unicode it is indeed
> two bytes but for some reason in the encoding used in Windows it is a
> single byte. It may be that some expert in encodings can tell you how to
> temporarily reset your locale in Ubuntu but I am not that expert.

All non-ASCII chars are two or more bytes in UTF-8: this one is c2 b7 in
hex.

Ubuntu is based on Debian which micro-packages its encoding support.  On
a standard Linux system you can just use (e.g.) LC_CTYPE=de_DE which is
encoded in Latin-1.   That might not be installed on Debian/Ubuntu, in
which case you need to install it.

OutDec is designed for outputting numbers in an internationalized way:
no known locale uses a centred dot.  (If one did, you could most likely
set LC_NUMERIC to such a locale instead.)