[R] Help with importing scripts within the same package?

MacQueen, Don macqueen1 at llnl.gov
Fri Jan 24 20:49:26 CET 2014

As Jeff Newmiller and Duncon Murdoch indicated, you can't modify the
contents of one part of a loaded package on the fly, and have the other
parts of the loaded package recognize the modifications. It's just not set
up that way. You have to repeat the build and install steps.

However, the devtools package makes it considerably more convenient to
re-build and re-load. In my limited experience with devtools and a small
simple package, it's really easy to use. You could think of as, in effect,
an easy way to re-source all your files after making changes to any one of
them, while the files are located within the package structure.

Otherwise, I think the best approach is to do all your debugging outside
the package context -- in which case one file can source the other as much
as you desire -- and then when it's good, put the functions into a package
(as Jeff Newmiller also suggested).

-Don

--
Don MacQueen