[R] attribute and main value

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Dec 29 17:53:50 CET 2014

as.vector(x) will return x without any attributes and
structure(x, attrA=NULL, attrB=NULL) will return x
without the named attributes.
   > z <- f(1:3, 4)
   [1] 14
   attr(,"gradient")
   [1] -6 -4 -2
   > as.vector(z)
   [1] 14
   > structure(z, gradient=NULL)
   [1] 14

as.vector is a generic function, so for certain classes
(e.g., factor) it may do more than just strip attributes.
Matrix dimensions are attributes and will be removed by
as.vector.

Bill Dunlap
TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com