[R] Difference in cummulative variance depending on print command

William Revelle lists at revelle.net
Sun Dec 7 19:31:59 CET 2014

Dear Rena,

As Peter points out, it is better to ask the maintainer of the program for detailed questions.

  As Peter correctly surmised, print.psych (which is used to print the output from the fa function), knows that you have an oblique solution and is reporting the amount of variance associated with the oblique factors (taking into account that they are correlated).  The default print method assumes orthogonal factors.

If you compare the total amount of variance accounted for (cumulative Var) for all of the factors (.59) , this will match that found using orthogonal rotations, while the default print method of the loadings does not.

Bill