[R] moses extreme reaction test

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 00:56:09 CEST 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 2:41 PM, Bert Gunter wrote:

> Just for the fun of it, I searched for "R package moses extreme
> reaction test"  on google. The 8th hit was the package DescTools, but
> that included the 3 earlier hits and responses from r-help.
>
> So I guess the point is that "Learn to Search" may even be a bit over
> the top -- is there anyone on the internet who does not use standard
> search engines like google, bing, and yahoo?

I don't think I'm the only one. Using Spencer Graves' excellent package is very convenient and has delivered many answers to questions posed on R help. It pops up a browser window directly from an R console command. I like the fact that I get an R help page with `findFn`. I suspect it has prevented many more questions that we never see.

The other search tool I have used in preference to Google is Markmail. I find Google to be sometimes non-specific and possesses an very annoying tendency to give priority to Nabble citations. None of the first page Google citations actually answered the question when I tried. Rseek was much better, but I have found it to be less focused than sos::findFn.  De gustibus non disputandem, I suppose.

I suppose I should crack open Spencer's code and learn how to call Markmail and Rseek from my console session, that is unless he accepts this feature request and beats me to it.

--
David.