[R] latex(test, collabel=) returns wrong latex code?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Mar 16 17:56:29 CET 2013

On Mar 15, 2013, at 12:33 PM, Simon Kiss wrote:

> Hello:
> I'm working with a 2-dimensional table that looks sort of like test below.
> I'm trying to produce latex code that will add dimension names for both the rows and the columns.
> In using the following code, latex chokes when I include collabel='Vote' but it's fine without it.
>
> The code below prouces the latex code further below.  I'm confused by this, because it looks like it's creating two bits of text for each instance of \multicolumn.  Is that really allowed in \multicolumn?
> Could someone clarify?
> Thank you!
> Yours, SJK
>

> library(Hmisc)
> test<-as.table(matrix(c(50,50,50,50), ncol=2))
> latex(test, rowlabel='Gender',collabel='Vote', file='')

(This is more of a comment than an answer. I am only able to achieve part of what I think was your goal.)

Since there is no argument to latex named 'collabel', I am guessing you may be getting partial name matching to `collabel.just`, and I doubt that 'Vote' is a valid argument for the Latex interpreter. `rowlabel` is supposed to be a column name in the 'object' argument. I'm not sure I can say what is supposed to happen when you give it a column name that is not in the object. I wasn't able to get the example in the help(latex) page to display rownames. I suspect you need to refer to the vignette:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/pub/Main/StatReport/summary.pdf

.... and I think you need the argument rowname rather than rowlabel