[R] latex(test, collabel=) returns wrong latex code?

Duncan Mackay mackay at northnet.com.au
Fri Mar 15 23:36:34 CET 2013

Hi Simon

the equivalent in xtable is

library(xtable)
xtable(test)
% latex table generated in R 2.15.2 by xtable 1.7-0 package
% Sat Mar 16 08:14:01 2013
\begin{table}[ht]
\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{rrr}
   \hline
  & A & B \\
   \hline
A & 50.00 & 50.00 \\
   B & 50.00 & 50.00 \\
    \hline
\end{tabular}
\end{center}
\end{table}

I am wondering if the class is making things hard

test
    A  B
A 50 50
B 50 50

# as  a data.frame
data.frame(test)
   Var1 Var2 Freq
1    A    A   50
2    B    A   50
3    A    B   50
4    B    B   50

# Add column names
dimnames(test) <- list(c("Gender A", "Gender B"), c("Vote A", "Vote B"))
 > test
          Vote A Vote B
Gender A     50     50
Gender B     50     50
xtable(test)
xtable(test)
% latex table generated in R 2.15.2 by xtable 1.7-0 package
% Sat Mar 16 08:34:34 2013
\begin{table}[ht]
\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{rrr}
   \hline
  & Vote A & Vote B \\
   \hline
Gender A & 50.00 & 50.00 \\
   Gender B & 50.00 & 50.00 \\
    \hline
\end{tabular}
\end{center}
\end{table}

I suppose a similar thing will happen with latex saves detaching

latex is a bit different in that it gives you multicolumn for the
header columns which can be modified (I have not used latex) for justification

I think the problem is in the arrangement of the data or the names
that you are sending to latex() someone else may have a different opinion

HTH

Duncan

Duncan Mackay
Department of Agronomy and Soil Science