[R] does R read commands from scripts instantanously or seuqently during processing

Rolf Turner rolf.turner at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 14 22:47:36 CET 2013

On 03/15/2013 05:13 AM, Jannis wrote:
> Dear R community,
>

> when I source a script into R via:
>

> R --slave < scriptname.R
>

> is the whole script file read at once during startup or is each
> indivdual line of code read seqnetially during the execution (i.e.
> directly before r processes the respective command)? In other words,
> can I savely edit the  scriptname.R file even when an active R process
> still runs the command above?

Experiment.  Build a toy script with a loop that never terminates. Set
it going.  Edit the script and change the code so that the loop terminates.
See what happens.

[It seems to me that nothing happens, so that you *can* "safely" edit
the script while
the process runs.  But further experimentation would be advisable.]

     cheers,

         Rolf Turner