[R] Running 32 bits code from within R 64 bits

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Tue Mar 12 22:30:06 CET 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Nuno Prista <nmprista at ipma.pt> wrote:

> Dear R colleagues,
>
> Is there any code I can use that allows an R 64bits to automatically run code on an adjoining 32bits version?
>
> Specifically, I am using the "RODBC" package on a 64 bits version and have a separate installation of R 32bits. I would like to automate data extraction from Microsoft Access and Excel [for which RODBC seems to require R 32 bits] from within my 64 bits version.
>
> Thank you in advance,

The short answer is No.

The longer answer is that R, the ODBC drivers and the target application have to be of the same architecture. Additional information is contained in various locations:

1. Last paragraph in R Windows FAQ 2.28:

  http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rw-FAQ.html#Should-I-run-32_002dbit-or-64_002dbit-R_003f

2. Run vignette("RODBC") and then look at:

  A. Lower half of page 23

  B. Footnote 15 on page 26

Regards,

Marc Schwartz