[R] Wilcox paired test error message

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jun 23 22:51:25 CEST 2013

On Jun 23, 2013, at 11:34 AM, ruth parker wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been trying to run a wilcox paired test on some data
> beforesmall aftersmall
> [1,]        63.5      512.0
> [2,]        54.5      237.5
> [3,]        52.5      161.5
> [4,]        78.0      153.5
> [5,]        53.5       68.0
> [6,]        50.5       65.5
> [7,]        69.0       52.0
> [8,]        76.0       59.0
> [9,]        68.0       66.5
> [10,]        75.5       66.5
> [11,]        67.0       45.5
> [12,]        81.0       54.5
> [13,]        49.0       44.0
> [14,]        51.0       42.5
> [15,]        53.0       34.5
>
> using
> wilcox.test(beforesmall ~ aftersmall,paired=T)
> but I get the error message:
>
> Error in wilcox.test.formula(beforesmall ~ aftersmall, paired = T) :
>  grouping factor must have exactly 2 levels

In this instance, you are working with a matrix, so you need supply the two column vectors explicitly:

wilcox.test( dat[ ,'beforesmall'] , dat[ , 'aftersmall'], paired=T)

And if you are using attach() and haven't told us, then STOP DOING THAT. (It won't work with matrices and it creates confusion among the inexperienced people who use it most often.)
--

--

David Winsemius
Alameda, CA, USA