[R] [R-SIG-Mac] problem with the installation of r commander on a mac

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jun 12 17:03:41 CEST 2013

Dear Susanne,

Installation instructions for the Rcmdr are at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html>,
but you've apparently done what you normally need to do to get it to work.
Though you don't say so, I assume that you have the latest versions of R
(3.0.1) and the Rcmdr (1.9-6), and that you've not only downloaded XQuartz,
but installed it (a necessary step on Mac OS X 10.8).

Beyond that, you haven't provided much detail about the error, but I suspect
that for some reason XQuartz isn't finding your display. One way to check
whether the error is particular to the Rcmdr is to try to load the tcltk
package in R directly via library(tcltk). You might also try starting the
XQuartz app *before* you start R.

It's a bit disconcerting that others have occasionally reported a similar
problem, solved the problem, but, as far as I know, failed to post the
solution to this list, which seems to me a common courtesy. If I knew the
solution, I could add it to the Rcmdr installation notes.

I'm not a frequent user of Mac OS X, and I've never experienced problems
installing the Rcmdr on it. I imagine that other list members will be able
to offer more concrete help.

Best,
 John

John Fox
Senator McMaster Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada