[R] Error: Line starting ' ...' is malformed!

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Jul 30 19:45:58 CEST 2013

On Monday, July 29, 2013 07:47:34 AM MacQueen, Don wrote:
> A recent version of the R extension manual says,
>
> "For maximal portability, the ‘DESCRIPTION’ file should be written
> entirely in ASCII — if this is not possible it must contain an ‘Encoding’
> field (see below)."
>
> It also says, regarding the DESCRIPTION file,
>
> "Fields start with an ASCII name immediately followed by a colon: the
> value starts after the colon and a space."
That, plus the fact that all the other files were in plain ASCII, convinced me
to recode DESCRIPTION to ASCII. Which solved the problem.

I guess, at least in this context, ASCII is considered an encoding as well as
a character set.

Thanks.

Ross

P.S. For the record, I used recode on linux to do the conversion; iconv is
another utility that would probably work.