[R] Changing radii line type in radial plots

Peter Ehlers ehlers at ucalgary.ca
Thu Oct 25 04:10:54 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-24 11:06, bwone wrote:
> I am using the package plotrix radial.plot(). Yes, radial.plot() has a line
> type argument, lty, but that is for the polygons or the radial lines, not
> the radii or axes of the radial plot.....unless I am doing something wrong.
> Thanks!

First, even if you must post via Nabble, please do keep context.

Now, as to your question: I think I now understand; you want control
over the line type of the radial grid. You're correct; that's not
currently possible with radial.plot(), but it's easy to modify the
function and you can probably nudge Jim Lemon to make the change.
In the meantime, here's a fix you can apply yourself:

1. Save the function code (either get the source or just use
capture.output:

   capture.output(radial.plot, file = "rp.txt")

2. Edit the function; find the following two lines:

   polygon(xpos, ypos, border = grid.col, col = grid.bg)
   segments(0, 0, xpos, ypos, col = grid.col)

and add the argument 'lty = grid.lty' to each.
Then add 'grid.lty = 1' to the function arguments.
Save the modified function as myradial.plot and source()
it into your R session and then use it with whatever
grid.lty setting you prefer.

Peter Ehlers