[R] Loop over several Variables, add on question

bchr bochristoph at web.de
Fri Nov 2 13:34:48 CET 2012

Hey Petr,

thanks for answering. First to your question: I use rename from the reshape
package.
You are probably right to assume that I do not  have a to extensive reading
background in R - basically I had to dive right in (which probably isn't a
good idea, but I could not change that).  Having a solid background in other
statistics packages (stata, SPSS) I now find myself putting quite a lot of
effort into presumably easy to do things like recoding, merging, looping
etc. (I really dont want to mention how long it took me to get that recode
done in the first place ...). So in any case I am sorry if I am bothering
you with somewhat strange problems...

Nevertehless even though your proposed solution did work 'as is' it did not
when I remodelled it to my data
vec<-paste0("y", 1:5)
ti[grep("y",vec)]<- paste0("tiy", 1:5)
It did produce no error message but the variable names did not change. Could
the problem be that ti in my case is not a vector but a dataframe (the y's
being variables in that dataframe?)

All the best

Bernhard