[R] Q - scatterplot, plot function & trellis linear regressions???

Jhope jeanwaijang at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:34:25 CEST 2012

Hi R-listers,

Q1) What is the difference between the scatterplot and plot function?

Q2) I am able to make a graph with the scatterplot function:

scatterplot(DevelopIndex ~ Veg,
+             data = Turtle,
+             xlab = "Vegetation border (m)",
+             ylab = "Embryonic development index")

And have been successful. But I do not know if the lines are for: linear,
non-linear, mean, upper and lower limits or percentile? This shows side
boxplots and 4 lines.

Yet this plot only has one regression line and no side boxplots?:

EDIHTL <- lm(DevelopIndex~ HTL, data=Turtle)
> plot(DevelopIndex~HTL, data=Turtle, pch=16,
       xlab="High tide line (m)", ylab="Embryonic development index")
> abline(EDIHTL)

Q-3
I am trying to make a trellis of linear regressions. I want 3 windows
displaying 3 events of linear regression (two-way interactions). I have been
trying this:

require(lattice)
> library(lattice)
> trellis.par.set(col.whitebg())
> scatterplot(DevelopIndex~Veg|Aeventexhumed,
+             xlab = "Vegetation border",
+             ylab = "Embryonic development index")
Error in eval(expr, envir, enclos) : object 'DevelopIndex' not found

 Please advise, many thanks.
Jean