[R] Resampling question

Nordlund, Dan (DSHS/RDA) NordlDJ at dshs.wa.gov
Fri May 11 03:10:45 CEST 2012

What you are doing is probably more appropriately called a jack-knife, rather than bootstrap.  Be that as it may, your approach will not prevent someone being dropped more than once.  You might randomly select 50 people without replacement and then drop them 5 at a time from the original population

to_drop <- sample(100,50,replace=FALSE)
rep1 <- pop[-to_drop[1:5],]
rep2 <- pop[-to_drop[6:10],]

I will let you decide how you want automate this.

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA 98504-5204