[R] error message

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Tue Mar 20 18:28:09 CET 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 10:36 AM, adamu eloji wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>  Who will bail me out.

You seem to be doing homework. This is not a mailing list for homework.

> Iam using R with S-Splancs.

What is that? You cannot use S packages with R unless someone has
ported it.

> Anytime i typed in the syntex, an error will appear eg setwd("C:\
> \TEMP)
>> dat <- read.table(cheshire_fmd.cvs",header=TRUE, sep=",")

Sarah has already shown you the error of the first statement.

>> dat.<-read.table(''chesire_fmd.cvs'',header=TRUE,sep='',)

That will produce is a different error  but it seems to possibly
related to you attempting to create double quotes by using two
instances of singe-quotes together. That will not succeed. You can
match either single quotes or double quotes but you cannot use
''name''.

> Error: unexpected symbol in "dat.<-read.table(''chesire_fmd.cvs"
>> dat$x.km <-dat$xcoord/1000

> Error: object 'dat' not found
>> dat$y.km <-dat$ycoord/1000
> Error: object 'dat' not found
>> dat[1:10,]
> Error: object 'dat' not found
>> Library(splancs)

Capitalization is crucial. Unless there is a package with a function
named "Library" as a function, that will not do anything useful.

> I was advised to remove the '>' at begining of each line, but its
> like that symbol is a default. How do i do that.

We have no context for that question. But again this is not a
"homework help line". You should be using you local resources for
instruction