[R] sunflower plot, making vectors?

Henry hccoles at lbl.gov
Tue Mar 13 22:59:46 CET 2012

I'm having a bit of trouble finding and understanding the correct function to
make numeric vectors to feed the sunflowerplot function.  I have 33k points
to show and I want to do better than the standard scatter plot.
I gather that I need two vectors (x and y) of the same count containing the
"center" value of each bin.
FYI - I have two pieces of data:
1 - x axis - time in days of the year from 0 to 363.98
2 - y axis -  power in kW 54.95 to 461.1

e.g. let's say I want 100 bins in each axis, what function(s) do I use.
Average the head and tail of each bin?
I'm sure there are several ways to do this.

After this I'll try to fill in the other sunflowerplot function inputs.
Thanks,
-Henry