[R] Apply() on columns

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Wed Jun 20 17:32:03 CEST 2012

Okay, I think you need to read up a bit on how to use R.

Have a look at ?apply.  It has nothing to do with graphing data. It is a way to summarize data.

What I think you want to do is to select the first 4 columns and then use apply() wih sum to get the total number of worlers  and then use apply(() to get the sum of the hours.

You will get two vectors workers and hours ,  Then hours/workers gives you the mean hours worked by each team.  Since this looks like a homework assignment I will leave the actual programing to you.

To graph something you need to select the data you want and then give the command you want

For example if we call the data.frame 'sp' then  boxplot(sp$V6)  gives you a boxplot of V6.
Have a look at ?boxplot for more information on how to make the plot look better by adding titles etc.

Also try with(sp, boxplot(V6,V7,V8, V9, V10 ))  for a grouped boxplot

John Kane
Kingston ON Canada