[R] count data without NA in certain time intervals and plot it

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Sun Jun 17 12:12:27 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've seen your reply to arun's reply and gave it a try.
Since arun's code included more than one column, I've added another in
one of the examples.

# Example 1
dattrial1 <- data.frame(a=c(1,NA,rnorm(4,10)), Week=c(3,3,3,4,4,4))

d1 <- split(dattrial1, dattrial1$Week)
count <- sapply(d1, function(x) sum(!is.na(x$a)))
count

# Example 2
dattrial2 <- data.frame(a=c(1,NA,rnorm(4,10)), b=c(1,2,NA,3,4,6),
Week=c(3,3,3,4,4,4))

d2 <- split(dattrial2, dattrial2$Week)
count <- sapply(d2, function(x){
		yes <- apply(x, 1, function(y) all(!is.na(y)))
		sum(yes)
	})
count

# Works for both examples
plot(names(count), count, type="b", col="red", pch=16)

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas