[R] Chi square value of anova(binomialglmnull, binomglmmod, test="Chisq")

lincoln miseno77 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 6 10:59:24 CEST 2012

David Winsemius wrote

> This is making me think you really have multiple observation on the
> same individuals (and that persons make transitions from one state to
> another as a result of the passage of time. That needs a more complex
> analysis than "simple" logistic regression. You might consider posting
> a more complete description of the study on the SIG Mixed Effects
> mailing list.
>
> --
> David.

No, I haven't. Individuals are birds marked with an unique alphanumeric code
that gives me information on their gender (sometimes I have this data
sometime I haven't), and their birth date (as a consequence also the age).
There are no multiple observations of the same individual.

Anyway, I believe I have not been answered to the main question: when using
anova with test "Chisq" between two models, is the difference in deviance
between the two models interpretable as the Chi Square value and the
difference in df interpretable as the df of the Chi square test?

For instance, given:

> anova(mod4,update(mod4,~.-cohort),test="Chisq")
Analysis of Deviance Table

Model 1: site ~ cohort
Model 2: site ~ 1
  Resid. Df Resid. Dev Df Deviance P(>|Chi|)
1       993     1283.7
2      1002     1368.2 -9  -84.554 2.002e-14 ***
---
Signif. codes:  0 ‘***’ 0.001 ‘**’ 0.01 ‘*’ 0.05 ‘.’ 0.1 ‘ ’ 1

Is 84.554 taken as the Chi square value, 9 as the df of the test and the
p-value depending on these two values?