[R] Compare data between two groups/countries on 5-point Likert scale questionnare?

Frankfoot q_2747 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 2 14:56:26 CEST 2012

Hi everyone, I'm stuck on my dissertation which is due next week. I'm a
business major student and my project is a comparative research on corporate
social responsibility (CSR) between Chinese and German firms. According to
my literature review, it's quite obvious that German firms have much better
CSR initiatives and strategies than the Chinese ones and I wanted to test
whether it was true by sending out Likert-scale questionnaires to Chinese
and German firms through bankers in my family. I have already got 24
evident that the hypothesis is correct. Now that I am writing my analysis
chapter, I am lost as I don't know which is the best way to analyse my data
after trying to find a solution for days. Basically, my questionnaire is
structured in this way:

Q1 - Q5: statements on environment-oriented CSR
Q6 - Q10: statements on workplace-oriented CSR
Q11 - Q15: statements on community-oriented CSR
Q16-Q20: statements on market-oriented CSR

All of the statements are 5-pt Likert questions. I initially planed to
compare the grouped mean values for each of the above section but I know
that it's not scientific. So can someone give me any advice on which kind of
tests is most suitable for my research? As you can see, my sample size is
quite small. I really appreciate your time!