[R] Splitting a character vector.

Rui Barradas ruipbarradas at sapo.pt
Sat Jul 7 23:55:41 CEST 2012

Hello,

Try the following.

open.par <- " \\("  # with a blank before '('
close.par <- "\\)"
result <- strsplit(sub(close.par, "", dd1), open.par)

Why the two '\\'? Because '(' is a meta-character so it must be escaped.
But '\' is a meta character so it must also be escaped.

Then choose the right way to separate the two, maybe something like

ix <- rep(c(TRUE, FALSE), length(result))
unlist(result)[ix]
unlist(result)[!ix]

Hope this helps,

Rui Barradas