[R] Splitting a character vector.

John Kane jrkrideau at inbox.com
Sat Jul 7 23:37:43 CEST 2012

I am lousy at simple regex and I have not found a solution to a simple problem.

I have a vector with some character values that I want to split.
Sample data
dd1  <-  c( "XXY (mat harry)","XXY (jim bob)", "CAMP (joe blow)", "ALP (max jack)")

Desired result
dd2  <-  data.frame( xx = c("XXY", "XXY", "CAMP", "ALP"), yy = c("mat harry", "jim bob" , "joe blow", "max jack"))

I thought I should be able to split the characters with strsplit but either I am misunderstanding the function or don't know how to escape a "(" properly in an effort to at least get   "XXY" "(mat harry)"

Any pointers would be appreciated
Thanks
John Kane
Kingston ON Canada