[R] problem with opening more than one SOCK cluster with package snow

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Dec 22 10:16:25 CET 2012

On 19/12/2012 18:57, Jannis wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> i have some problems using the snow package to create a SOCK cluster.
> The errors just occour irregularly but it seems to me that they occour
> when I try to create more than one cluster on the same machine via
> different R instances started via submitting LSF jobs to a cluster. Does
> anyone have an idea how to solve this or where to start digging for
> solutions?

Yes.

My guess is that you are starting snow clusters simultaneously.  The
message gives you a pretty big clue: use different ports for different
clusters (it is an option to makeCluster).

Also that that it is over a year since snow was superseded by an
improved version in package 'parallel', so why are you still using the
original?