[R] create a color palette with custom ranges between colors

jeff6868 geoffrey_klein at etu.u-bourgogne.fr
Wed Dec 12 13:00:42 CET 2012

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to create my own color palette on R, in order to interpolate some
different temperature data on different maps (daily means, seasonal
means,...).

I would like to create a color palette which works for each map, so I need a
color palette between -40 and +40°C. Sometimes my data for one map range
from -10 to +20, sometimes from 10 to 30, etc... but always between -40 and
+40°C.

I would like a fluent color gradation between my extremas (-40 and +40),
with different colors between customed values.

For example, if the temperature is under -20°C I would like the color
"darkblue", then if the temperature is between -20 and 0°C I would like the
color "lightblue", then between 0 and 20°C the color "yellow" and finally
over 20°C the color "red".

Is it possible to create a fluent gradation color palette with customed
colors (not just one color for each part, but something fluent based on the
chosen colors) ?
Something like this: http://i.stack.imgur.com/5NoJh.jpg

I would like then to join this customed color palette to all my "levelplot"
or "image.plot" functions,in order to create all my maps.

Any help for doing this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks a lot!