[R] In factor analysis in the psych package, how can I work out which factors the columns in $scores relate to? How do I know what each of the scores is scoring?

Brent Caldwell brent.caldwell at otago.ac.nz
Wed Dec 5 21:52:39 CET 2012

Hi
I have used fa() to perform a factor analysis of a psychological battery which is thought to have 11 factors.  I can identify which factors the loadings relate to easily enough because I can see which items are loading onto each of the columns in the $loading output.  However, how can I identify which items or loadings are being used to create each of the columns in the $scores output?  I have used generalised linear models which have shown that some of the scores are significant predictors of treatment outcome, but I can't work out which of the 11 factors they are scoring?

when I export to csv the $loadings I get the following columns in this order:
 MR4, MR3, MR2, MR6, MR7, MR5, MR1, MR8, MR10, MR9, MR11

When I export to csv the $scores I get the following columns in this order:
V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, V7, V8, V9, V10,V11

Are the scores in the column V1 derived from the loadings in column MR1 ?
Or are the scores in the first column of $scores (ie V1) derived from the loadings in the first column of $loadings (ie MR4)?

Thank you very much for your guidance, and your patience with my confusion
Best wishes
Brent

Brent Caldwell, MBChB, DPH, MPH.
Research Fellow
Department of Medicine
University of Otago, Wellington
New Zealand
U  brent.caldwell at otago.ac.nz
b  04 918 6041
   021 87 22 64
  23a Mein Street, PO Box 7343, Newtown, WELLINGTON 6021, NEW ZEALAND
brent.ower.caldwell
  Zonnic study