[R] [R-pkgs] AQ-R 0.2 // realtime messaging.

Ulrich Staudinger ustaudinger at activequant.com
Wed Dec 5 14:09:42 CET 2012

Hi there,

I am glad to announce AQ-R 0.2 has been successfully built and is
available via install.packages("aqr",
repos="http://R-Forge.R-project.org").

The most important new feature is real-time messaging from within R.

AQ-R 0.2 enables you to send and receive byte[] messages within R
through a STOMP compliant messaging server, such as the ActiveQuant
Master Server. There are various STOMP protocol compliant servers [1].

You can build arbitrarily complex messaging infrastructures, where
messages flow between R instances or other-language messaging components.

The key functions are:
aqSubscribe(aChannel) - subscribe to messages in a channel
aqWaitForData() - a blocking call that waits for data to arrive
aqPoll() - fetches all messages from the internal buffer (not the STOMP
server)
aqSend(channel, text) - send a message to a channel

This extension does buffer incoming data between consecutive aqPoll()
calls.

The core loop for using this should look like:

while(aqWaitForData()){
     data = aqPoll()
}

Version 0.2 is beta. I have thoroughly tested it on Windows and on
Linux. I am looking for more testers and feedback.

Demo video at [2].

<buzz>I hope it opens up an easy venue to build distributed calculators
without the hassle of going through MPI or anything similar, in a truely
cross-platform approach, making R a viable citizen in  highly
heterogenous message processing environments. </buzz>

Cheers,
Ulrich