[R] Problem installing Rmpi with Open MPI

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Aug 30 20:02:42 CEST 2012

On 29 August 2012 at 20:07, Linh Tran wrote:
| Thank you for the advice. I tried using the command, and it still
| wouldn't load.
|
| I tried uninstalling all of the MPI interfaces, reinstalled openmpi
| using the "--enabled-shared --disable-dlopen" command, and Rmpi was able
| to install sucessfully inside R.

I just spent some time going over this, along with Prof Hao, the author of
Rmpi.  You may simply have been missing the openmpi-bin package which
provides tools like orterun -- Open MPI now needs this at startup.  This may
get added to configure tests in the future to alert users.

With this openmpi-bin package installed, I could easily install Rmpi on
Debian and Ubuntu using the distro's Open MPI packages. No need for local
Open MPI builds.  Also note this post on the Open MPI list:

   http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/devel/2012/04/10840.php

Static builds may lead to loss of resources at runtime as you may have
multiple copies running.

| Thank you to Prof Ripley for pointing that out! I think it was shared
| and dlopen options that kept preventing me from succeeding.

I believe this advise to be incorrect. We have been using dynamically linked
builds of Open MPI for several years on Debian with good success. I was
involved in an overhaul of Debian's Open MPI packages around 2006/2007; the
package has since been very well maintained by others.

Dirk

| On 08/29/2012 01:40 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > On 29 August 2012 at 11:37, Linh Tran wrote:
| > | I've spent a few days trying to install Rmpi with no luck. I originally
| > | tried using mpich, moved on to mpich2, and then to openmpi. I've gotten
| > | the furthest with openmpi, though am still running into this problem and
| > | can't figure it out. Can someone help!? Thanks so much in advanced.
| > |