[R] meaning of sigma from LM, is it the same as RMSE

John Sorkin JSorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Fri Apr 6 03:52:51 CEST 2012

Again my thanks!
John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

>>> Greg Snow <538280 at gmail.com> 4/5/2012 4:42 PM >>>
If you look at the code for summary.lm the line for the value of sigma is:

ans$sigma <- sqrt(resvar)

and above that we can see that resvar is defined as:

 resvar <- rss/rdf

If that is not sufficient you can find how rss and rdf are computed in
the code as well.