[R] Add png image outside plot borders

Amelia McNamara amelia.mcnamara at stat.ucla.edu
Sun Sep 18 22:59:25 CEST 2011

If you run this, you'll see that I have some text at the bottom, but
the logo is within the plot borders.

plot(c(1.1, 2.3, 4.6), c(2.0, 1.6, 3.2), ylab="", xlab="")
mtext("X axis label", side=1, line=3)
mtext("Copyright statement", side=1, line=4, adj=0, cex=0.7)
library(png)
z <- readPNG("Cc.logo.circle.png")
rasterImage(z, 1, 1.6, 1.2, 1.7)

I've tried doing things like

rasterImage(z, 1, 0.5, 1.2, 1)

but nothing shows up. The documentation for rasterImage() says that
the corner values have to be within the plot region. As I said before,
I want the logo to be down on the level of my copyright text, outside
the plot region.

Thanks!