[R] problem with project command in rgdal

kalee kathryn.lee1 at students.mq.edu.au
Tue Oct 18 06:11:37 CEST 2011

Hi

I'm trying to analyse some data and need to set the geographic coordinate
system before I can do the analysis. I've been trying to use the project
command in rgdal but keep getting an error message saying:

Error in project(locationsMatrix, PROJECTION.OUT) :
  latitude or longitude exceeded limits

( PROJECTION.OUT <- "+proj=aea +lat_1=-18 +lat_2=-36 +lat_0=0 +lon_0=132
+x_0=0 +y_0=0 +ellps=GRS80 +towgs84=0,0,0,0,0,0,0 +units=m +no_defs")

I know that I'm using the right proj4 format (got it from the espy file in
the Proj4 data directory) and I know that the datum is correct as I often
use it in GIS (GDA94; Australia Albers).

Before using the project command I have a series of commands to make my raw
input (a csv file) into a matrix with only the two columns of co-ordinates.
There doesn't seem to be any problem in the matrix either.
I'm really confused as to what the problem could be. I've used this command
successfully for other datasets.

Thanks in advance of any help/suggestions