[R] Entering data into a multi-way array?

Victoria_Stuart 1 at VictoriasJourney.com
Sat Oct 1 05:12:29 CEST 2011

Hello: I am a novice R user, but I have been working my way through the
manuals / tutorials, ...  I have R / Deducer up and running, and know the
basics.

I want to analyze a microarray (gene expression) dataset.

I need to input the data into R as a multidimensional (multi-way) array,
something on the order of

15,000 x 3 x 8 x 2  [genes x replicates x time points x treatments]

I've Google'd, etc. to find the solution, but I cannot find an answer.  I am
being led to the idea (I suspect) that I may need to use a RDBMS (like
MySQL) for that purpose (section 4 in
http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-data.html)?

If so, that is my next challenge!

Any replies much appreciated!