[R] On-demand importing of a package

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Tue Nov 22 22:27:13 CET 2011

On 11/22/2011 01:16 PM, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
> Hi Josh,
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Joshua Wiley<jwiley.psych at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi Gábor,
>>
>> You could import rowSums.  This will not fully attach Matrix.  I am
>> not sure there is a really good solution for what you want to do.  To
>> fully use and validate your package, Matrix appears to be required.
>> This is different from simply, for example, enhancing the Matrix
>> package.
>
> importing rowSums() from NAMESPACE requires having Matrix in the
> 'Depends:' line, I think. I would like to avoid that, if possible.

No need to Depend:. Use

Imports: Matrix

plus in the NAMESPACE file

  importFrom(Matrix, rowSums)

Why do you not want to do this? Matrix is available for everyone,
Imports: doesn't influence the package search path. There is a cost
associated with loading the library in the first place, but...?

> Sure, to validate my package it is required. That is fine. For "fully"
> using it might be required, but most users don't fully use a package,
> they just use 1-20-50% of the functionality, depending on the size of
> the package. My package does not depend on Matrix, except in less than
> 1% of its (quite many) functions.

I'm more into black-and-white -- it either needs Matrix or not;
apparently it does.

>> You could just write the functions assuming matrix is there, make sure
>> the examples are marked don't run, and tell users if they want to use
>> them, they need to load Matrix first.  I do this with OpenMx in my
>> package.
>
> Hmmm, this is close to what I want to do. Actually my functions work,
> even if Matrix is not there, but they work better with Matrix. The
> problem is that if I do this, then I get the error I've shown in my
> initial email. I.e. Matrix is there, it is loaded, but the rowSums()
> generic is not called for some reasons.

In another message you mention

 > Matrix:::rowSums(W)
Error in callGeneric() :
   'callGeneric' must be called from a generic function or method

but something else is going on -- you don't get to call methods
directly; you're getting Matrix::rowSums (it's exported, so no need for
a :::, see getNamespaceExports("Matrix")). Maybe traceback() after the
error would be insightful?

Martin

--
Computational Biology