[R] On-demand importing of a package

Gábor Csárdi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Tue Nov 22 22:16:30 CET 2011

Hi Josh,

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Joshua Wiley <jwiley.psych at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Gábor,
>
> You could import rowSums.  This will not fully attach Matrix.  I am
> not sure there is a really good solution for what you want to do.  To
> fully use and validate your package, Matrix appears to be required.
> This is different from simply, for example, enhancing the Matrix
> package.

importing rowSums() from NAMESPACE requires having Matrix in the
'Depends:' line, I think. I would like to avoid that, if possible.

Sure, to validate my package it is required. That is fine. For "fully"
using it might be required, but most users don't fully use a package,
they just use 1-20-50% of the functionality, depending on the size of
the package. My package does not depend on Matrix, except in less than
1% of its (quite many) functions.

> You could just write the functions assuming matrix is there, make sure
> the examples are marked don't run, and tell users if they want to use
> them, they need to load Matrix first.  I do this with OpenMx in my
> package.

Hmmm, this is close to what I want to do. Actually my functions work,
even if Matrix is not there, but they work better with Matrix. The
problem is that if I do this, then I get the error I've shown in my
initial email. I.e. Matrix is there, it is loaded, but the rowSums()
generic is not called for some reasons.

Thanks again,
Gabor

--