[R] Coloring Continents/Regions of World Map

ang ang at hamiltonlane.com
Fri May 13 20:44:25 CEST 2011

Dear All,

This may be a silly question, but I have tried searching through a few of
the existing threads already, and haven't found any information on this.

I am trying to color code entire continents/regions (Asia, North America,
Africa, etc.) based on the number of relevant companies.  The data would
look like:

World Location	Companies
North America	4848
Western Europe	1972
East Asia	1373
Northern Europe	313
Southern Europe	276
Middle East	167
Pacific	209
Southern Asia	156
SouthEast Asia	141
Eastern Europe	100
South America	55
Southern Africa	65
Carribean	26
Northern Africa	42
Central Asia	8
Western Africa	17
Eastern Africa	6
Central Africa	1
Central America	1

And the names/regions definitely wouldn't match in R, but if I could
aggregate this data on my end to at least plot the #s in each continent that
would be great.

map('world', plot=FALSE)$names) gives a list of all the regions, but there
are over 2000 of these regions, and I can't figure out a way to aggregate
them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian