[R] R won't start keeps crashing

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu May 12 17:52:27 CEST 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 10:24 AM, Bazman76 wrote:

> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/file/n3517669/R_crash.jpg
>
> OK when I click on the .RData file I get the screen above. Also when
> I start
> R from the desktop icon or from select if from programs I get the same
> result.

Why do you even have this file around anymore? You have been told that
it is corrupt and that trashing it is the way to go forward.

(I suppose you could the error message regarding the missing `vars`
package and see if that restores civil order, but if .Rdata doesn't
have useful information that would be difficult to rebuild then ....
just trash it.)

--
David.

> The warning message is in focus and I can not move the focus to the
> GUI.
> When I either click to dismiss the message of click to close it the
> whole
> session shuts down.
>
> So I can not enter the commands you sugested into this corrupt
> version.
>

> However, when I click on the Canada.Rdata the R session starts and
> seems to
> function normally.
>
> Here are the results of the functions you requested. Not sure if
> they will
> help given that this version is workfing?
>
>> sessionInfo()
> R version 2.13.0 (2011-04-13)
> Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)
>
> locale:
> [1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [2] LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252
> [4] LC_NUMERIC=C
> [5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252
>
> attached base packages:
>

>> load("C:/path/to/file")
> Error in readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) : cannot open the
> connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In readChar(con, 5L, useBytes = TRUE) :
>  cannot open compressed file 'C:/path/to/file', probable reason 'No
> such
> file or directory'
>>

> Sorry if I gave you the wrong information previously, just let me
> know what
> you want.

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT