[R] Is this confict of different versions of R or something else?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed May 4 17:06:02 CEST 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 3:44 AM, TheSavageSam wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have had some problems lately with use of R at home and school. At
> my home
> laptop (Ubuntu linux 64bit & R-2.12.0) R works just fine. But when I
> take my
> codes to school(Windows XP 32bit & R-2.10.1 I think) and run those
> there
> those codes probably won't work. Functions as combinations()

 > ?combinations
No documentation for 'combinations' in specified packages and libraries:
you could try '??combinations'

So I (like you) don't have the package with combinations loaded.

> didn't work and
> expand.grid() worked a bit differently. About expand.grid I just
> couldn't
> pass a dataframe of parametres but I had to pass all the colums
> separately.

That is most probably a version difference. The Core group works very
diligently to keep the versions returning the same results (when
possible) on all platforms. Graphics and operating system-specific
tasks (including clipboard access) are obvious exceptions.

> Is this because my university has so old version of R? Or is it
> because I am
> using Linux at home? Or is it because some libraries aren't installed?
> I like R very much, but if there is difference between R in different
> operating systems, then I dislike that.
>
> Can you give me some tips how to avoid these problems? Install
> latest R to
> my university PC? I don't want to fall back at Windows users -category
> anymore.
>
> --
> TheSavageSam
>
> --