[R] Problem with Snowball & RWeka

Mike Marchywka marchywka at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:31:40 CET 2011

> Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 03:35:31 -0700
> From: kontakt at alexanderbachmann.de
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] Problem with Snowball & RWeka
>
> Dear Forum,
>
> when I try to use SnowballStemmer() I get the following error message:
>
> "Could not initialize the GenericPropertiesCreator. This exception was
> produced: java.lang.NullPointerException"
>
> It seems to have something to do with either Snowball or RWeka, however I
> can't figure out, what to do myself. If you could spend 5 minutes of your
> valuable time, to help me or give me a hint where to look for, it would be
> very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you very much.

If you only want answers from people who have encountered this exact problem
before then that's great but you are more likely to get a useful response
if you include reproducible code and some data to produce the error you have
seen. Sometimes I investigate these things because they involve a package
or objective I wanted to look at anyway. It could be that the  only problem is that the OP
missed something in documentation or had typo etc.

In this case, to pursue it from the perspective of debuggin the code,
you probably want to find some way to get a stack trace and then find out
which java variable was null and relate it back to how you invoked it.
This likely points to a missing object
in your call or maybe the installation lacked a dependency as this
occured during init, but hard to speculate with what you have provided.
You could try reinstalling and check for errors.