[R] Results of CFA with Lavaan

yrosseel yrosseel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:02:56 CEST 2011

On 06/09/2011 05:21 PM, R Help wrote:
> Ok, I think this is the last question I have.  My model is producing
> an estimate of intercepts for my variables along with my loadings.
>  From the documentation it appears that this is controlled by the
> meanstructure	option in cfa.  It says that setting it to TRUE includes
> the intercepts, and setting it to "default" means thatthe value is set
> based on the user-specified model, and/or the values of other
> arguments.  I've included my model specification below, and I would
> prefer not to fit intercepts, but setting it to FALSE does not seem to
> achieve this.

Several arguments of the cfa() function force meanstructure=TRUE (and
indeed, silently overriding the meanstructure=FALSE option if specified
by the user; perhaps, lavaan should spit out a warning if this happens).

The following argument choices force meanstructure to be TRUE (if there
is only a single group):

- estimator = "mlm" or "mlf" or "mlr"
- missing = "ml" or "fiml"

Did you use any one of those arguments?

But why would you prefer not to fit the intercepts? If there are no
restrictions on the intercepts/means, fitting them should have no effect
on your model fit whatsoever.

Yves Rosseel
http://lavaan.org