[R] inline/Rcpp: Problem with space in path under Windows

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jul 24 19:16:27 CEST 2011

Hi Dieter,

On 24 July 2011 at 07:12, Dieter Menne wrote:
| Hi, Dirk,
|
| Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >

| > Thanks for your interest in Rcpp.  We generally prefer questions about
| > Rcpp / RInside / ... on the rcpp-devel list.
| >
| I know that list, but I was not sure if Path-questions are part of "devel".

Question related to usage etc, especially when encountering bugs or failure,
surely do.

| Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > ... presumably from installing R itself in a path with spaces.  As I
| > recall, the R-Windows FAQ recommends against it too.  as spaces in
| > filenames are not supported.
| >

| Rtools and friends must be in spaceless paths, but the installation of R
| into the String-Path is the default I do not want to change without reason.

Is that the official line?

| Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >
| > I know of no other fix than to move your R installation.  Or to manually
| > rewrite the installation / build snippets.  Things will compile and link,
| > you "just" need to re-build all the Makevars.win etc scripts to use
| > absolute paths, possibly with 8.3 notation.
| >

| But things work Ok with vanilla c. I had already started fiddling with
| Makevars, but I stopped, thinking I had missed something obvious.

I have two suggestion.

First is to (as a stop-gap measure) hard-code your path rather than the
expansions we compute at compile-time by asking functions such as

edd at max:~$ R -q -e 'cat(Rcpp:::LdFlags(), "\n")'
R> cat(Rcpp:::LdFlags(), "\n")
-L/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/lib -lRcpp -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Rcpp/lib

edd at max:~$

If you hardcode this in the Makevars you use, you should be fine.  I guess
you could also use the same for inline's cxxfunction() etc.

Second, we are of course open to suggestions and improvements from smart
Windows users.  Neither Romain nor I have much patience for Windows and don't
work on it, so changes are unlikely to come from us.  So by all means, if you
have some time and interest to poke around please do so and report back. We
are always happy to incorporate changes as long as do not come at the cost of
making existing use patterns harder.

| Thanks, Dirk. Hope to see you in Coventry.

Sorry, I will not be able to make it this year. Maybe next year at Vanderbilt...

Cheers, Dirk

--
Gauss once played himself in a zero-sum game and won $50.
                      -- #11 at http://www.gaussfacts.com