[R] inline/Rcpp: Problem with space in path under Windows

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Sun Jul 24 16:12:27 CEST 2011

Hi, Dirk,

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Thanks for your interest in Rcpp.  We generally prefer questions about
> Rcpp / RInside / ... on the rcpp-devel list.

I know that list, but I was not sure if Path-questions are part of "devel".

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> ... presumably from installing R itself in a path with spaces.  As I
> recall, the R-Windows FAQ recommends against it too.  as spaces in
> filenames are not supported.

Rtools and friends must be in spaceless paths, but the installation of R
into the String-Path is the default I do not want to change without reason.

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> I know of no other fix than to move your R installation.  Or to manually
> rewrite the installation / build snippets.  Things will compile and link,
> you "just" need to re-build all the Makevars.win etc scripts to use
> absolute paths, possibly with 8.3 notation.

But things work Ok with vanilla c. I had already started fiddling with
Makevars, but I stopped, thinking I had missed something obvious.

Thanks, Dirk. Hope to see you in Coventry.

Dieter