[R] Named numeric vectors with the same value but different names return different results when used as thresholds for calculating true positives

Eik Vettorazzi E.Vettorazzi at uke.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jul 13 19:35:09 CEST 2011

Hi Lyndon,
I'm sorry, I just saw that you provided your dataset.
I checked my program and it reproduced the same error.

con <- url("http://sites.google.com/site/ldemisc/r_general/tpfpdat.Rdata")
load(con)
close(con)

bins<-quantile(x,0:200/200)
ctch<-t(sapply(bins,function(b)c(b,sum(x>b),sum(y>b))))
colnames(ctch)<-c("bin","tp","fp")
head(ctch,20)

so it all comes down to quantile not producing strictly ordered values
bins[11]>bins[12] #TRUE

this is due to how "quantile" handles ties in conjunction with floating
point arithmetic.
There are 9 different way in R to calculate quantiles, see ?quantile
The last 6 produce non-monotone quantiles:
 sapply(1:9,function(i)any(diff(quantile(x,0:200/200,type=i))<0))

while the first three are ok. So

bins<-quantile(x,0:200/200,type=1)

or rounding bins up to 4 digits will suffice.

cheers.

Am 13.07.2011 19:03, schrieb Eik Vettorazzi:
> to cut a long story short, how about that:
>
> bins<-quantile(x,0:200/200) #maybe replacing x by c(x,y)
> ctch<-t(sapply(bins,function(b)c(b,sum(x>b),sum(y>b))))
> colnames(ctch)<-c("bin","tp","fp")
>
> Cheers.
>
> Am 13.07.2011 18:49, schrieb Eik Vettorazzi:
>> Hello Lyndon,
>> I'm still puzzled what x and y actually are and how they are related.
>> Your "bins" are calculated from x only, so you might missing some range
>> of y and since you use a fixed number of bins of equal size, some bins
>> might be empty (and therefore reproducing the result from the bin
>> before), and some might contain more than one distinct value (and so are
>> ignoring an intermediate step). But this might be intentional and the
>> reason for you to build up your own function.
>> If not, have a look at pROC, there is a clever way to calculate the
>> required bins, in particular look at
>>
>> getAnywhere("roc.utils.thresholds")
>>

>> Some tweaking of your code is possible anyway:
>>
>>> for(i in 1:length(threshold)) {
>>>   tp[i] <- length(x2) - length(x2[x2 <= bins[i]])
>>>   fp[i] <- length(y2) - length(y2[y2 <= bins[i]])
>>> }
>>
>> calculates length(x2) and length(y2) in every single loop, but this is a
>> constant, so it is wasting time. Anyway, you get away even without
>> calculating this once, using
>>
>> tp[i]<-sum(x2>bins[i]) #indexing is not necessary,
>>                        #and 1-x2[j]<=tr == x2[j]>tr
>>
>> and on top one that, the fanciest or at least R'ish way, by common
>> understanding, is avoiding loops and using *apply, but that's a matter
>> of taste, when it comes to that ;)
>>
>> tp<-sapply(bins,function(b)sum(x>b))
>> fp<-sapply(bins,function(b)sum(y>b))
>>
>> #or all at once
>> ctch<-t(sapply(bins,function(b)c(b,sum(x>b),sum(y>b))))
>>
>> A last minor remark: sorting x and y is not necessary in the new code
>> fragment.
>>
>> hth.
>>

>> Am 13.07.2011 16:46, schrieb Lyndon Estes:
>>> Hello Eik,
>>>
>>> Thanks very much for your response and for directing me to a useful
>>> explanation.
>>>
>>> To make sure I am grasping your answer correctly, the two problems I
>>> was experiencing are related to the fact that the floating point
>>> numbers I was calculating and using in subsequent indices were not
>>> entirely equivalent, even if they were calculated using the same
>>> function (quantile).
>>>
>>> I confirmed this as follows:
>>>
>>> j <- 0.055  # bins value for 5.5% threshold
>>> bin.ct <- as.numeric(as.character(quantile(x, j, na.rm = TRUE)))
>>> bin.ct
>>> #430.29
>>> bin.ct2 <- quantile(x, j, na.rm = TRUE)
>>> bin.ct2
>>> #  5.5%
>>> #430.29
>>> bin.ct - bin.ct2
>>> #        5.5%
>>> #5.684342e-14
>>> length(x) - length(x[x <= bin.ct])
>>> length(x) - length(x[x <= bin.ct]) # 2875
>>> length(x) - length(x[x <= bin.ct2])  # 3029
>>>
>>> Testing the unname() option does not fix the result, I should however note:
>>> bin.ct <- as.numeric(as.character(quantile(x, j, na.rm = TRUE)))
>>> bin.ct2 <- unname(quantile(x, j, na.rm = TRUE))