[R] How to translate string to variable inside a command in an easy way in R

Daniel Nordlund djnordlund at frontier.com
Wed Jul 13 19:30:13 CEST 2011

Well, you could do the above in one line (sorry, my email client is breaking the line)

>agg <- eval(parse(text=paste("aggregate(num",y,"~MemberID,right.a,sum)",sep='')))

You can put that in a function and call it like

>your_function <- function(y) eval(parse(text=paste("aggregate(num",y,"~MemberID,right.a,sum)",sep='')))
>agg <- your_function(y='AMI')

However, you seem to be trying to wrestle R to the ground to get it to do things your way.  Maybe if you gave R-help some context about your overall task (including why you need to construct these commands), someone could provide suggestions on solving your programming tasks in a more R-ish way.  Just a thought.

Dan

Daniel Nordlund
Bothell, WA USA