[R] Rcompression on MAC - where is it?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Jul 13 15:58:30 CEST 2011

On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:30 AM, peter dalgaard wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2011, at 03:04 , David Winsemius wrote:
>

>> On Jul 12, 2011, at 8:40 PM, Eduardo M. A. M. Mendes wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I need to run an r-file that works on Windows on MAC.
>>
>> Does that mean you are using a virtual box to run Windoze on Mac
>> hardware?
>>

> More likely, he used to run it on a Windows machine, now has a Mac.
>

>>> The first lines of the file are:
>>>
>>> library(R.matlab)
>>> library(Rcompression)
>>>
>>> Somehow I cannot find where Rcompression is.  Am I missing
>>> something?
>>
>> Learn to search... _first_ hit on google searhc for rcompression is:
>>
>> http://www.omegahat.org/Rcompression/
>

> Notice that it comes as a source package, so needs to be downloaded
> and compiled. Easy enough via the Packages & Data -> Package
> Installer -> Local source package, click Install, then browse for
> file (Simon? That's not proper Mac conventions, is it?).

It's pretty close. If you are in the GUI, one can use the Package
Installer panel from the Packages & Data menu. When using the dropdown
setting at the top of the panel you can choose to directly access
source packages in omegahat or r-forge by changing the "Other
repository" setting and unchecking the Binary Format Packages or one
can choose "Local source packages".

> Works for me, but new users may need to install build tools, Xcode
> et al., as per
>
> http://r.research.att.com/tools/

And the right mailing list for Mac questions is:

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT