[R] Weighted Optimization

Jan van der Laan rhelp at eoos.dds.nl
Thu Jan 13 13:57:01 CET 2011

You will have to modify your likelihood in such a way that it also
includes the weights. If your likelihood has the following form: l =
sum(log p_i) you could for example add the weights to the likelihood:
lw = sum(w_i * log p_i) (although I am not sure that this is the
correct way to add the weights in your case)

Therefore, you will have to change your functions negllh and se to
also accepts the weights as input parameters:

negllh <- function([PARAMETERS YOU HAVE ALREADY HERE], weights, ...) }{ ... }
se <- function([PARAMETERS YOU HAVE ALREADY HERE], weights, ...) { ... }

You can then call optim adding weights as additional parameter which
gets passed on to negllh and se:

gh.fit = try(optim(vega, negllh,hessian = se,pdf = gh.pdf,
           tmp.data = data, transf = transform, const.pars = vars[!opt.pars],
           silent = silent, par.names = names(vars), weights = w, ...))

HTH,

Jan