[R] convert the sas file into csv in R

Joshua Wiley jwiley.psych at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 00:03:37 CET 2011

Hi yf,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:35 PM, yf <chang648 at umn.edu> wrote:

> i am trying to convert sas file into csv. I used write.csv(a,
> file="cool.csv") but nothing come out. i don't know why. Thanks.
>

> library(Hmisc)
> a<- sasxport.get("C:\\Users\.....")

Let's back up a little bit.  What type of file are you trying to read
into R with this statement?  Did you make sure it was a SAS XPORT
format?  SAS files often come in the native .sas7bdat format, which R
cannot read (it is proprietary).

At this point, try taking a look at your object "a".  At the console
you can type:

class(a)
str(a)

and see what the output says.  Is it a data frame?  A list? or .... ?
Even if the data is read into R properly, write.csv() may not be able
to properly write all classes of data.  You might also try:

print(a)

to make sure there is actually data to be written and it is not just
an empty dataset.

> write.csv(a, file="cool.csv")

Assuming "a" is a matrix or data frame or can readily be coerced to
such, this line should be fine.

Just as a note, if it is a .sas7bdat file, Revolution Analytics now
provides software that can read it into R.  There is normally a
charge, but it is free for academics, which, judging by your email
address, you are.
http://www.revolutionanalytics.com/news-events/news-room/2011/revolution-analytics-unlocks-sas-data-for-r.php

Cheers,

Josh