[R] R Commander options

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Dec 29 21:15:32 CET 2011

Dear Michael,

This ended up being more of a mess than I anticipated, but I think that I
now have font selection working as advertised on both Windows and Mac OS X.
I don't have a convenient Linux system to test on at the moment, but the
Rcmdr should behave on Linux as on Mac OS X.

(1) The default.font Rcmdr option now works on both Windows and non-Windows
systems, but fonts are specified in Tk form; there's an example in
?Commander.

(2) The default.font.size and log.font.size Rcmdr options control
respectively the point-size of GUI elements and R input/output/messages.
These too work on both Windows and non-Windows systems. On non-Windows
systems the default.font.size option will generally be preferable to the
default.font option; if both are specified, the latter is used.

(3) The scale.factor option still doesn't work reliably on non-Windows
systems. On Windows systems, in most cases, specifying scale.factor will be
more convenient than specifying default.font.size and log.font.size.

(4) The "Tools -> Options" dialog allows the user to set the default font
size option on non-Windows systems and the scale factor option on Windows
systems.

I don't think that you previous option specifications would have done what
you want even if the current version of the Rcmdr were working properly. In
the new setup, I think you want something like

 options(Rcmdr = list(default.font.size=15,
  log.font.size = 15,
  log.width = 54,
  log.height = 6,
  output.height = 18,
  ))

If you really want to scale up the fonts from 15 points by a factor of 1.4,
use 21 points.

All of these changes are in the development version 1.8-2 of the Rcmdr
package on R-Forge. You should be able to get the most up-to-date version
(now revision 173) via svn, or you can wait until R-Forge builds the source
package, which is usually done daily (check the revision number at
https://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=255).

Please let me know whether this works properly for you now.

I'm copying this response to Rich Heiberger, since the changes may affect
him.

Best,
 John

John Fox