[R] readLines errors

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sat Dec 24 16:35:28 CET 2011

On Dec 24, 2011, at 9:55 AM, rusers.sh wrote:

> Hi All,
>  I just tried Firefox that David referred and found it can also
> return the
> correct result as Google Chrome.
> So now it is more clear now that readLines() function uses IE as the
> default explorer, so it return the wrong result. Then the possible
> solutions are,
> 1. Could we change the options in readLines() to set another
> explorer as
> the default explore, e.g. Google Chrome?

?options # and look at the HTTPUserAgent choice

I believe this:

 > options()$HTTPUserAgent
[1] "R (2.14.0 x86_64-apple-darwin9.8.0 x86_64 darwin9.8.0)"

... is telling me that the choice is passed off to the OS, and only
because you keep referring to (MS)IE do we know that you are running
one of that Redmond company's products. (You should evidently do more
study of the relationship of R to the OS platform you use.)

> 2. Could it be possible to set IE explorer in a rational way, so
> that it
> can return the same results as Google Chrome  and Firefox? I have
> tried to
> modify the encoding method in IE, but it doesnot work.
>  Any suggestions or help?

That is not an appropriate question for this mailing list. You persist
in posting in HTML. Maybe you should also spend more time learning to
use you mail client correctly?

--
David.

> [...]
>> >
>> ,+¹ó³Ø+°²»Õ,
>> +
>> ÖÐ
>> ¹
>> &output
>> =
>> csv
>> &key
>> =
>> ABQIAAAAq8Fnd_oUka
>> -7RdS6BrD7GBTqeABoQuNTXS36G_rkiwQnKRW6GBTkns8JpKz6y6dScgB8827dlddUlg
>> &language=zh-CN&region=zh_Hans"),
>> n=1, warn=FALSE)
>>
>> [1] "400,0,0,0"
>>
>>  The returned value is wrong. I also tried several other options, but
>> still have the same problem. The interesting thing is if i paste
>> the URL
>> into the IE explorer directly, it do return the correct values.
>>
>>  Anybody can give me some suggestions or hints to solve this?
>>
>>  Thanks a lot.
>>
>> P.S. See below for the other possibilities i tried.
>>
>> readLines(url("http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+Ç°Ë®³å<http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+%E5%89%8D%E6%B0%B4%E5%86%B2
>> >
>> ,+¹ó³Ø+°²»Õ,
>> +
>> ÖÐ
>> ¹
>> &output
>> =
>> csv
>> &key
>> =
>> ABQIAAAAq8Fnd_oUka
>> -7RdS6BrD7GBTqeABoQuNTXS36G_rkiwQnKRW6GBTkns8JpKz6y6dScgB8827dlddUlg
>> &language=zh-CN&region=zh"),
>> n=1, warn=FALSE)
>>
>> [1] "400,0,0,0"
>>
>> readLines(url("http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+Ç°Ë®³å<http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+%E5%89%8D%E6%B0%B4%E5%86%B2
>> >
>> ,+¹ó³Ø+°²»Õ,
>> +
>> ÖÐ
>> ¹
>> &output
>> =
>> csv
>> &key
>> =
>> ABQIAAAAq8Fnd_oUka
>> -7RdS6BrD7GBTqeABoQuNTXS36G_rkiwQnKRW6GBTkns8JpKz6y6dScgB8827dlddUlg
>> &language=zh-CN"),
>> n=1, warn=FALSE)
>>
>> [1] "400,0,0,0"
>>
>> readLines(url("http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+Ç°Ë®³å<http://ditu.google.cn/maps/geo?q=+%E5%89%8D%E6%B0%B4%E5%86%B2
>> >
>> ,+¹ó³Ø+°²»Õ,
>> +
>> ÖÐ
>> ¹
>> &output
>> =
>> csv
>> &key
>> =
>> ABQIAAAAq8Fnd_oUka
>> -7RdS6BrD7GBTqeABoQuNTXS36G_rkiwQnKRW6GBTkns8JpKz6y6dScgB8827dlddUlg

David Winsemius, MD
West Hartford, CT